Black Swan provides “intellectual” venture capital to early stage companies seeking either to overcome political or regulatory barriers to their business or to tap into federal assistance to propel the company forward. Black Swan has an extensive network of contacts in key agencies and on Capitol Hill and deep knowledge of federal programs and the legislative process that can be mobilized to solve the unique problems of early stage companies. Additionally, Black Swan has a vast network of private sector contacts ranging from Fortune 500 companies to major trade associations that it leverages for IVC partners. Black Swan typically provides these services as an equity partner to its clients in lieu of fees or billable hours.
Black Swan has assisted its intellectual venture capital clients in the following ways:
- Identifying government grants and loan guarantees for early stage activities
- Successfully achieving legislative change to an existing federal grant/loan program to allow client to qualify for funding
- Preparing federal grant/loan applications
- Assisting in removing trade barriers to foreign company’s access to U.S. market.
- Assisting U.S. companies in accessing foreign markets.
- Finding private funding sources for early stage activities and expansion
- Developing a customer base for new services
- Identifying business partners to assist in funding and developing emerging technologies
- Designing and providing advice on funding and new customer presentations
- Designing and providing advice on business plans
- Developing new markets, particularly in the government sector, for products